Over 11,000 people rescued as Punjab intensifies flood relief operations

Spread the news

The North News

Chandigarh, August 30

The Punjab government has stepped up relief efforts after floods hit several districts, evacuating 4,711 people in the past 24 hours and bringing the total number of those rescued to 11,330 so far. According to official data, the worst-affected districts include Gurdaspur, where 4,771 residents have been rescued, and Ferozepur with 2,819. Evacuations have also taken place in Hoshiarpur, Kapurthala, Pathankot, Fazilka, Tarn Taran, Barnala and Moga.

Officials said 77 relief camps are currently operational across the state, sheltering nearly 4,729 people. Ferozepur has the largest number of evacuees in camps, with over 3,400 people. Other districts including Hoshiarpur, Gurdaspur, Pathankot and Kapurthala are also hosting flood-affected families. Essential supplies are being distributed regularly, with relief material handed out in Kapurthala and other districts in recent days.

The operations involve multiple agencies. The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) has deployed teams in Gurdaspur, Fazilka, Ferozepur and Pathankot, while the State Disaster Response Force (SDRF) has sent teams to Kapurthala. The Army, Air Force, Border Security Force (BSF), Punjab Police and local communities are also assisting.

Floodwaters have so far affected 1,018 villages across the state, including 323 in Gurdaspur, 107 in Kapurthala and 101 in Ferozepur. The state is also reporting heavy agricultural losses, with more than 61,000 hectares of farmland damaged. Crops in Fazilka, Ferozepur, Kapurthala, Pathankot, Tarn Taran and Hoshiarpur have been hit, alongside reports of livestock loss.

Officials said relief and rehabilitation are being carried out on a “war footing” as authorities prioritise rescuing stranded people and restoring basic services.