Harshvardhan urges Centre to declare floods national disaster

Spread the news

Yog Raj Sharma

The North News

Shimla, August 30

Himachal Pradesh Industries Minister Harshvardhan Chauhan has called on the central government to declare the recent natural disaster in the state a national calamity, citing widespread destruction and severe financial strain. Addressing the press conference on Saturday, Chauhan said the state assembly had already passed a resolution unanimously urging the Centre to act. “The damage to life and property is massive, and the state’s financial position is already weak. Himachal urgently needs a large relief package,” he said.

He  recalled that in 2023, Himachal suffered losses worth nearly ₹10,000 crore due to natural disasters, but received only ₹2,000 crore in assistance from the Centre. “This time, the losses are once again extensive, especially in Chamba district,” he added. Chief Minister Sukhvinder Singh Sukhu is personally visiting the affected regions to review the situation. Relief and rehabilitation work is underway on a war footing, with priority being given to rescuing stranded people, he said.

Chauhan confirmed that an all-party delegation would soon visit Delhi to press for aid. He said the Chief Minister would also speak with Leader of the Opposition Jairam Thakur to ensure joint representation. Expressing gratitude to BJP legislators for backing the proposal, he added: “The Centre must declare this a national disaster and provide immediate assistance.”