US and Iran to hold a second round of nuclear talks in Geneva

US–Iran hold second round of nuclear talks in Geneva amid rising tensions
Spread the news

By JAMEY KEATEN and STEPHANIE LIECHTENSTEIN

Geneva, February 17

The United States and Iran are expected to hold their second round of talks on Tehran’s nuclear programme in Geneva on Tuesday as Washington ramps up its military presence in the Middle East and Iran conducts large-scale maritime exercises.

US President Donald Trump has repeatedly warned of possible use of force to compel Iran to constrain its nuclear activities, while Tehran has said it would retaliate if attacked. The first round of indirect negotiations was held on February 6 in Oman and arrangements for the second round were not immediately clear.

US envoys Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner were travelling for the talks. US Secretary of State Marco Rubio, speaking during a visit to Budapest, said Washington hopes to achieve a deal despite the difficulties and stressed that the US prefers negotiated outcomes.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, who met the head of the UN nuclear watchdog in Geneva, said he had arrived with real ideas to achieve a fair and equitable deal and ruled out submission to threats.

Last week, Iranian security official Ali Larijani met Omani Foreign Minister Badr al-Busaidi, who is acting as an intermediary in the talks, and called for restraint and compromise to ensure regional peace and security.

Meanwhile, Iran’s Revolutionary Guard began naval drills in the Strait of Hormuz, the Persian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman, key international trade routes through which around 20 per cent of global oil shipments pass. Reports indicated warnings of a possible live-fire drill in the Strait.

The US has increased its military deployment, sending the aircraft carrier USS Gerald R. Ford to join the USS Abraham Lincoln and accompanying warships already in the region. Gulf Arab nations have warned any escalation could trigger a wider regional conflict following the war in the Gaza Strip.

Washington is seeking limits on Iran’s uranium enrichment to prevent nuclear weapons development, while Tehran insists its programme is peaceful and has demanded easing of US-led sanctions as part of any agreement.

Iran’s Deputy Foreign Minister Majid Takht-Ravanchi said Tehran could consider compromise if sanctions are lifted and added that the ball is in America’s court.

Earlier negotiations were halted after last year’s brief conflict involving Israel, during which US and Israeli strikes targeted Iranian nuclear and missile facilities. Before the conflict, Iran had enriched uranium up to 60 per cent purity, close to weapons-grade levels.

PTI